Torcastle at Muirshearlich near Banco's Walk
The ancient ruins of Torcastle at Muirshearlich near Banco's Walk sits overlooking a strategic point on the River Spean.
There have been several Castles here for the best part of a thousand years with MacPhersons, MacKintosh’s and Camerons all holding sway over the centuries. It was probably last rebuilt about 1530 by the Camerons who in the next century moved to Achnacarry where the seat of Clan Cameron, Achnacarry Castle remains today.
Getting to the site of Torcastle is difficult and not recommended by car. Access is by a private road.